Thursday, July 22, 2010

First Time for Everything




SO...it's only 8:30 in the morning and my day has been filled with firsts. As you read, you are probably going to think, "how can this be?" Yes, I have traveled (to some pretty great places too), but I have never taken the train to Chicago (yes, I've been to Chicago). I thought about this as I was waiting to board the train. I stood outside the station surrounded by a variety of people - families, business people, those with cameras and white socks, couples in love, teenagers texting, girlfriends gabbing, and me.....I thought, how can I be almost 45 and never have ridden the train from AA to Chicago, especially when I have lived in the AA area for over 12 years? How did this happen???? Then that led me to thoughts of all the things I haven't done - but still want to. Lost in those thoughts, the waiting time passed quickly and the sound of the train whistle brought me back to reality. The reality that today will be filled with firsts.

- First train trip to Chicago
- First educational industry conference
- First time to Chicago alone
- First time to a conference alone
- First time I've gone to Chicago and wished B was with me
- First time hooked to the internet while traveling (the actual movement of traveling)

And it's only 8:45....how many more firsts will come as my day unfolds???? Here I sit, grateful for my air card and the technology available that I can blog, email and yak with friends as I travel (gone are the days of having to read the paper and drink crappy coffee - although I don't see a Starbucks on here, lol)

I also will return to my thoughts of what is on my list of things I've yet to do in life (my bucket list) - it's a great way to pass the time. I am also anticipating getting to Chicago, checking into the Westin, and heading to my first session. My day will end with some shopping on Michigan Avenue, dinner, working out and then getting all comfy on a big puffy bed to watch TV (and probably be on the computer again).

It's good to be employed, one because I need a job and the money, but also because my job has opened this door to a new experience. Let the learning and enjoying begin!

No comments: