Wednesday, July 7, 2010

CAREER FOUND ME



So....in January 2010 I returned to the professional workforce as the Campus Marketing Director for a small, private school in Ann Arbor. Where I turn on my computer daily is - Clonlara Campus School.

Let me tell you about ADJUSTMENTS!!!! Being out of the workforce for nearly 15 years, and away from the marketing business for nearly 20 - oh boy! So many things, with the invent of the web, social networking, multi-media, etc. have changed. It is no longer as simple as writing an ad for your target market, running the ad, answering the phone and following up on leads!! Now my office phone rings to my cell when I'm not at the desk, I have instant chat that I answer when people visit my website, I monitor all our social media sites, and that's just in the first hour of the day. LOL

But...I LOVE MY JOB!!!! My biggest charge is to increase enrollment. When the board hired me, I agreed to climb a HUGE mountain - I was asked to increase their enrollment by 30% in 9 months, and then another 30% in the second year. CHALLENGE, which I have run in front of from the first day I started. The first 6 months I have been with Clonlara I registered 6 new students. A few people have kidded me about being able to keep up this pace and about coming out of the gate so strong. I can only hope that this rate continues, or increases.

The other parts of my job include keeping my current families happy, increasing our presence in the AA community, networking, and continually 'putting us out there.' I have been out beating the pavement. I have met with several other administrators, trying to make connections with program coordinators who's programs end at certain grades (considering Clonlara is a K-12 school I am a natural choice for some families when the program their child is in ends at 6th grade.) I am always, always, always selling!!!

The job gives me a chance to mix my marketing background with my passion that families should have choices when deciding on their child's education. I work in no better community for there to be alternative choices - and yes, the school I work for is an alternative learning environment. This strong passion came to me when, about 6 years ago, I had to take B out of school. We even toured Clonlara to see if it was a good educational match for him. Our educational road has not been easy, but without alternative choices we would have been sunk.

So...that's what I am doing these days (at least most days). Plus still juggling B's schedule, time with family and friends, and running the household. And much of the time I feel like I'm not very good at the balancing act! But, eventually I will get the hang of it. Thankfully, I am loving what I'm doing!!!

No comments: