Monday, May 11, 2009

Blowing Neon - pt. 4

Tonight was the last night of B's neon class. He finished the project he has been working on for me. I saw this early on in his sessions in the neon shop and asked if he would do it for me. We worked together on the design - I picked the shape and color, B did the rest. He used some creative licence. Artists?! LOL Basically, there is a transformer base and each piece of neon is interchangable, based on the season. Unfortunately, I don't think the pics do the color justice! I was thinking a great night light when I placed my order with the artist, but this thing is SO bright!!!

heart for Valentine's - bright red neon (this is clear glass with neon gas inside, the natural color of neon gas is red)
egg for Easter - hot pink (clear glass tubing with hot pink powder inside with argon gas)
pumpkin for Halloween - orange (clear glass tubing with green powder inside with neon in it, the red neon changes the green color to orange, ain't chemistry cool?!
tree for Christmas - green (clear glass tubing with green powder inside with argon gas)
B's plan is to add more seasonal designs when he goes back into the shop in the fall. (yes, he's taking a break from neon for the summer.) So he has time to plan out what he's going to work on next. Thanks B, mom loves this and can't wait to plug it in when we move into our next place!

1 comment:

lifejourneys2 said...

Oh my GOSH!!!! Do you know how envious M is??! He has been asking if he can learn how to create neon pieces (guess it's all the blinking lights in Las Vegas, hee hee).

Amazing pieces. Can we have one? M wants to decorate his bedroom with neon ;)